What are the reasons for falling asleep during meditation?
Here are some reasons for falling asleep while Meditation. What I understood in the last 11 years:
1. Meditation in bed
2. Choosing your sleeping time as Meditation time
3. Doing Meditation after a big meal
4. Lying down while Meditation
5. Choosing relaxation music such as River Sound with Flute
6. Not taking proper sleep for many days
7. Targeting the Meditation as relaxation
8. Meditation in the night time
9. Not setting up a goal for Meditation
11. Not being in the present moment
12. Telling a lie to yourself that I am not feeling tired before start
13. Losing the control of weight on shoulders
14. Not straightening the spinal cord
15. Looking downward-facing while start
How to control sleep during Meditation?
Here is what I did for controlling my sleep during Meditation:
Usually, I always did my Meditation at night time, because I found that night time is more peaceful and my mind is so quiet this time. But the problem was that I was always tired by night time and my mind always gave the order to the body to sleep. But I changed my lifestyle to control my mind.
First of all, I did not take any heavy meals and I took more and more water every day. Just before the Meditation, I used to walk some steps fastly, and after some time I splashed my face with cold water. Meditation gives us more than what is not on the list of our desires so I always gave more priority to Meditation. I separated my place of Meditation from the bed.
For some days, before Meditation, I chewed some cardamom which helped me to do more meditation. I kept my eyelids straight while doing Meditation because if the direction of my eyelids is downwards, I may sleep. I focused on my third eye and prayed to God that I am doing something for awareness, so, please bless me with amazing results.
I slapped myself when I was dozing off or snoring and said to myself that I am not on the earth for sleeping, I am here to awaken. The mind needs practice, so it took some time but in the end, I overcame it.